Simple and delicious baked organic chicken is one of my old-time favourites.
Apart from tasting better, buying organic may help prevent the spread of antibiotic-resistant bacteria. When you crowd chickens together indoors, the way conventional growers do, they’re more likely to produce infectious bacteria, which is why non-organic chickens are fed antibiotics as a norm. But this creates drug-resistant strains of bacteria. These bacteria are normally killed by the heat of cooking, but they can be spread by people who work with the birds. “USDA Organic” chickens, on the other hand, are allowed access to the outdoors; they are given antibiotics only to prevent pain or death, after which they are no longer considered organic.
- 1 whole chicken
- 2 small zucchinis, sliced
- 2 small head broccoli, cut into small florets
- 6 to 8 cloves garlic
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400. Place the whole chicken in the baking dishes. Add the zucchini slices and broccoli florets around the chicken. Add a few garlic cloves throughout. Drizzle olive oil over the top of the chicken and vegetables. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Place the baking dish(es) into the preheated oven and roast for 55 to 60 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
3. Serve the roasted chicken with broccoli and zucchini.